Wednesday, June 21, 2006

More on the 6: Mole people (otherwise known as anyone who rides the subway)

When a good friend moved to New York (two years before I did) she said she was amazed by how New Yorkers would exit the subways and just know what direction they were going in…they were mole people.

Riding my old commute … I've noticed …I'm a mole person …even after having moved ten months ago … I know how many cars from the front of the train I need to be so that when I get off at Grand Central … I'm in front of the stairs to go down to the 7 train ..and when I get on the 7 train…I get on two cars from the front …so that when I exit, I'm at the right exit that puts me on the corner of my office building.

I didn't even realize that I was methodically choosing which subway car to ride.

Of course, upon reflection, I do it on the el also … if I get on the last car on the brown line … I'm at the exit at the Merchandise Mart stop that puts me on the corner of Kinzie …and therefore down the block from my office.

1 comment:

J said...

Hey, I just realized you linked my passover explanation and called it "charming." Thanks!

Also Mole people are the people who live deep in the subway tunnels.
Seriously.