Wednesday, March 01, 2006

etymology

I do have a love affair with words. I wonder if I played with the dictionary some if I might get unblocked and see the end of my writing ennui … in the meantime, I came across this website. http://www.wordorigins.org/

I find it rather fun, and slightly less geeky than my dream of owning a real Oxford English Dictionary (how can you not love a dictionary that gives pages of definitions for one word including the etymology?). Unfortunately, since I don't even own a bookcase to house all the books (as you can sort of see in the attached picture, my books are in stacks around the walls of my apartment), I don't have the space, nor the finances for the OED, but yes, geekily enough, I do dream.

I am both a word geek as well as a book geek.

1 comment:

chavalicious said...

best thing about oed is the little magnifier to read the pages better. LOVE IT!