Monday, November 24, 2008

Mundane Monday Musings

A Tale of Two Press Conferences


I watched two press conferences today. The first was our current president. Huddled a bit to his side and behind him was Paulson, looking a bit like Lurch. At least that's what I first thought. His shoulders slightly curved, his eyes darting around, his mouth closed as he nodded his way through Bush's speech; Paulson looked tall, creepy and awkward. This is the man behind the wheel driving our economy. Bush looked squat, short, uncomfortable and ready to dash at any quick movements. But then I realized who they looked like. Smithers and Burns.

I tried to listen objectively to what Bush was saying, in particular because I bank at Citibank, so this current we're-not-calling-it-a-depression is getting really, really close to me now. (Not only am I unemployed but now I REALLY have to worry about my pitiful amount of money being FDIC insured). But I was distracted by the clumsy image they made right up to the painfully clunky exit. Bush finished speaking and they split in two, Bush darting in one direction and Paulson's lankly arms and legs slinking off in another, like an ungracefully choreographed high school dance performance. I was left thinking Bush just wants to get the hell out of Washington.

The next press conference was Obama announcing his latest nominations. He is smooth. Always. In his defense, he is new, a fresh face in charge of bringing us hope and change. He is unsharpened pencils, new notebooks and straight A's on the first day of school. He hasn't had a chance to mess up yet. Which I'm sure he will. Regardless of his water walking and prophetic oratory skills, he is human. But I am really excited to see what he will do.

No comments: