Sunday, January 07, 2007

iPod ennui no more

Apparently this happens to quite a few people, but my love for my iPod (and my music) is cyclical. When it was new and unscratched and ready for downloads, I was a like a crack addict, always on the hunt for new songs. It was during my move from New York to Chicago, and while I was surrounded by half packed boxes, I would spend more time than I had to waste downloading music. I was obsessed. There are songs on my iPod that I have no memory of downloading and no idea where I found the song or why I paid $0.99 for the song. My ears were never without headphones, and I made playlists for everything.

Then it happened.

I got tired of my music. Who knew that thousands of songs could get tiring? And my iPod sat lonely and forgotten on my desk.

Then I discovered Limewire. And it was back. My love, my obsession. I clogged Internet time with searching songs and downloading.

And of course, again I got bored.

iPod ennui is so sad.

but .... part of my christmas loot was an iTunes gift card.

I was once again in a musical haze of downloading. Now when I walk down the street, headphones cradled into my ear drums (definitely doing permanent and dangerous damage to my hearing) I can't help but smile ... it's new again...

here's some of the music i have downloaded in the past week:

Dead Man, Undertaker, Poison Cup by M. Ward
A Man/Me/Then Jim, Capturing Moods by Rilo Kiley
Grand Canyon, Epitaph for My Heart, My Only Home, Long-Forgotten
Fairytale, I Think I Need a New Heart, Absolutely Cuckoo, It's Only
Time by The Magnetic Fields
Step Into My Office Baby, I'm a Cuckoo, If She Wants Me by Belle and Sebastian
Undecided, Love's A Game by The Magic Numbers
Secret Heart by Feist
Ode to Divorce, Chemo Limo by Regina Spektor
Usual Way by Super XX Man
Sunken Treasure, Jesus Etc..., Poor Places by Wilco
Hands in Pockets by Laura Gibson
Play that funky music white boy by wild cherry
Bittersweet symphony by the verve
PPale blue eyes, Take a Walk on, Stephanie Says by The Velvet Underground
It's not Unusual by Tom Jones
Bang a Gong Get It on by T- Rex
Give a Little Bit by Super Tramp
Mr. Roboto, Come Sail Away by the Styx
The Joker, Take the Money and Run, Gangster of Love, Fly like an Eagle by the Eagles
When I goosestep, Pressed in a book, Your Algebra, Girl Inform me, Kissing the Lipless by the Shins
What Do I do, Holding on to the Earth, Same Changes, I need love, I could write by Sam Phillips
What a Wonderful World, Tainted Love, Rock N Roll High School, I wanna be Sedated, Hey Ho, Let's Go, Do you wanna dance? What I like about you by the Ramones
She hates me by Puddle of Mud
Kiss, Purple Rain, Rasberry Beret by Prince
Lucky Star, Hey Mr. DJ by Madonna
Sexy Back by Justin Timberlake
Fins, If You like Pina Colada, Cheeseburger in Paradise by Jimmy buffett
Afterglow by INXS
Forever Young, Say Hello to Angels, Direction by Interpol
Mona Lisa, Lily-a-passion by Grant Lee Phillips
Jubilee by Grant Lee Buffalo
Whip it by Devo
Brimful of Asha by Cornershop
Opps I did it Again by Britney Spears
Brass Monkey by the Beastie Boys
Starcrossed by Ash
Hey Jack Kerouac by the 10,000 Maniacs.

No comments: