Sunday, April 02, 2006

Jam and Toast

My bestest friend got married this weekend. It was great. She never hit bridezilla status and nothing disastrous happened. I'm friends with all her friends and my parents were at the wedding. It was nice to be able to drink dirty martinis with my friends, boogie on down to "I Will Survive" and dance a dance with my father, and of course see my best friend look beautiful and beam beautiful happiness and see the same love and happiness in her groom’s eyes. As Maid of Honor, I gave a toast ... below is a version of it:

I met K in ninth grade in Ms. Jaffe’s drama class. We’ve been through it all, our friendship even survived being roommates for three years. She’s been more than a friend to me, she’s been more a sister and she’s my family.

I remember the night that K met B. She turned to me and said, “I wanna kiss him.” And as we all know, tonight she finally did.

In the first few months of their relationship, B and I had a conversation one night when he shared with me how amazed he was with K, with how independent and together she was, he was impressed and smitten.

I came across a poem the other day that reminded me of the night K and B met and that conversation I had with him.

I caught sight of a splendid Misses. She had handkerchiefs and kisses. She had eyes and yellow shoes she had everything to choose and she chose me

Life and love is about choices. K and B, you have chosen each other. Every day, remember that, cherish that, and celebrate that. Salute!


*the poem is a Gertrude Stein poem

No comments: