Friday, April 03, 2009

Riding the EL, Friday Fun, and my failed attempt at Missed Connections and proof that, Yes, I am a loser

This morning, on the el, there was a man who I thought was, well, a hottie. But, for me, the el is about commuting, not being hit on. That, and I am a big old shy loser, out in the world, when I don’t have a drink in my hand and I’m not standing in a bar.

It isn’t that often that I see someone on the street that I find attractive. Actually, it’s rare anywhere, not just on the street. So, this morning, I’m on the brown line, I see a cute guy. I am plugged into my iPod, I’m stealing some commute time to do a little work on a story I’m writing, so although I do notice him, I don’t make eyes at him or anything. I’m all plugged into my private world. But, again, I did think he was cute.

When the train stopped, I stood up and my iPod fell from my lap onto the ground in front of him. He picked it up and handed it me. I smiled at him and said, “Thank you,” and then rushed off the train before the doors closed.




Walking into the office I thought about posting a missed connection. I’d never done it. I’d never felt inclined to even attempt it. I used to read them occasionally, but actually hadn’t looked in awhile. It’s Friday, I’m bored. Why not?



So I posted this:


Title: I dropped my iPod (Brown line - Quincy stop)

browline...quincy stop around 10:30am...I stood up to exit the train and you picked it up and handed it me...I just wanted to say ...THANK YOU



And so far this afternoon I received two emails. This first one said:



Don't people communicate face-2-face anymore. Damn!


The second said:


oh god, PLEASE tell me that you at least said thank you when it happened and didn't wait to later post it online. that's really pathetic, if it's true. but if you did say thanks to begin with then that's cool... ignore me.




I’m not sure what I should have said, “I’d like to buy you a drink? I’d like to talk to you? I think you’re cute?" That wasn't my intention. I just wanted to reach out to a cutie on the train and say thanks. Or maybe it was and I’m just too wimpy, even anonymously online, to say things like that (when I am sober).


Anyway, this was my unsuccessful attempt at dipping my toe into Missed Connections.
So, I’m headed to Happy Hour where, with vodka in hand, I feel freer to flirt with abandon.

Happy Friday All!

No comments: